Re: [ARSCLIST] When you die...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Don Cox" <doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> The value of any 78 lies in the likelihood that better methods of
> transferring the sound to digital will be developed in the future, so it
> is worth while to preserve the originals.

Now...here I shall VEHEMENTLY disagree...!

The above suggests that ONLY the sonic content of a phonorecord is worth
preserving...! Consider that a 78rpm phonorecord, as a physical artifact,
states and/or implies MUCH more than its sound...!

Consider that a "digital copy" of a physical object is nothing, more or
less, than what that identity implies...a COPY! If that were sufficient,
I should be satisfied were the technology in place to clone Ecru (my
cat...!) in case of his demise...?!

Consider that it is highly likely that digital technology will eventually
reach a point where it will be possible to create and save digital copies
of solid objects (NO idea of how, or whether, this will work for living
beings...?!). Also, there are "collectables" where current non-digital
technology makes it possible to create effectively-exact copies of
items. In every case, the "repro"(duction) version is worth considerably
less than the original (even if it would be virtually impossible to
identify any differences between the original and the copy...?!)

See my earlier post about digitally-copying the US Capitol, and then
demolishing the original in favour of a Wal-Mart...?!