Re: [ARSCLIST] Dolby B

At 03:49 PM 2007-10-24, Ganesh.Irelan@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Is there a sure way to tell if a tape is Dolby B encoded? What do you do if you are not sure?

Hello, Kevin,

The easiest way is to listen with Dolby B both in and out -- A/B listening. One will sound correct...or not.

If you think you still hear "breathing" with Dolby B ON then what I do is grab my room monitor knob and the Dragon output knob and adjust them so the overall monitor level remains the same and the "breathing" (or pumping) artifacts are minimized. This is on-the-fly Dolby playback level calibration.

Since some cassette tapes can lose perhaps 10 dB of 10 kHz over a year without anything external acting on them -- or so it has been reported to me -- the Dolby cal will obviously be wrong.

There is, to the best of my knowledge, no tool that you can use to specifically decide whether it was Dolby B or not.

Also thrown into the mix are Dolby C and Dolby S.

If you ever have the chance of purchasing a Dolby 422 decoder -- with the S-board installed -- I would certainly recommend it. I have two (for a total of 8 channels) and it is the cleanest Dolby consumer processor I've heard. It also conveniently interfaces at balanced pro operating levels.

Cheers,

Richard