 From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List on behalf of Gustavus Stadler
 Sent: Mon 10/15/2007 10:39 AM
 To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Subject: [ARSCLIST] Recordings of lynchings?

 Hello-

 I am a scholar in American literature and cultural studies. For a
 project on aural representations of African-Americans from
 approximately 1880-1920, I'm trying to find information about
 possible recordings of lynchings. There are references to such
 recordings in works by several recent historians, but some of the
 information comes from a single memoir, and some is simply presented
 without footnotes. I've tried the recorded sound and folklore
 collections at the LOC; they referred me to this list.

 It seems quite possible that if these recordings were made, they were
 reenactments, given the technological challenges of recording with a
 horn. Even so, I'm interested in finding out anything possible about
 the production, distribution, and consumption of such recordings. Has
 anyone in the list ever encountered such a thing?

 Many thanks for your help.

 Best,
 Gus
 --