Re: [ARSCLIST] Gennett Project update

I'm glad to hear of all the hard work you've done with the Gennett cards.  In the interests of accuracy, the "previous secretary"'s proper title was Project Director.  She was the only employee of the Foundation, and did a lot of good things with very very limited resources.  Have they found a replacement for her, yet.  I haven't been in touch.

I don't know that IU-East has taken a leadership role on research or has any substantial holdings, unless it's stuff that the Foundation was able to acquire.  I did a small oral history project for them a couple of years ago.  We interviewed the four known surviving musicians who had recorded in the Gorge.

I haven't had a chance to comb through the IHS holdings recording Gennett.  My research there was focused on the 19th century.  But now I'm involved with some 20th century projects that may require another trip or two to Indy.

Can you provide any guidance of whether it could be worth my while?  Do they have recording cards or other papers (I have copies of the recording ledgers) that cover the early country artists recorded in the late '20s and early '30s.  For instance, I'm looking for any clues as to the identity of the fiddler on the Tom Owens Barn Dance Trio sides from 1926.  Or was the Dan Workman of the Scott County Trio--presumably the violinist--the same Dan Workman who worked as a mechanic in Bloomfield, Indiana (according the 1930 census)?

Thanks for your hard work.

Paul

Malcolm Rockwell <malcolm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Thank you for your replies and comments.
The Star-Gennett Foundation has a small collection of recordings but no
recording cards or pertinent paper (ledgers, sales stats, pressing
orders, etc). The previous secretary, who did just about everything at
S-G, was swamped with so many projects (and limited funds) that the
preservation aspects were eclipsed. Hopefully the new person will be
able to advance this aspect of the Foundation's work.
I have yet to contact IU-East, but shall do so shortly. Any suggestions
as to a contact person gratefully accepted.
Thanks for bringing this resource to my attention.
I have been a member of the Indiana Historical Societyfor the past 5
years and have pretty much tapped them out!
As to digitization, Charlie Dahan did just that with all the cards at
Rutgers, of which the Institute of Jazz Studies now has a copy.
Hopefully IU will be able to do the same with the material at the IHS.
Mal Rockwell

*******