To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, October 14, 2007 1:55 PM
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Gennett Project update

Hello folks -

A couple of things:

1) I've now been through all the Gennett recording cards I've been able to locate. They physically exist at Rutgers and at the Indiana Historical Society. I now have jpg and bmp files of all the cards at Rutgers, thanks to the aid of Dan Morgenstern and the patience and camera of my co-compiler Charlie Dahan, as well as my own hand written notes of all the cards archived in Indianapolis.
These are the covered dates:

NYC: May, 1921 - June 1928

Richmond:
August 1921 - January 1922
January 1923 - December 1923
January 1927 - April 1929

If anyone knows of any more cards in public collections or private hands I would surely like to know about them. I also still seek any information on recordings made in Richmond for the US Starr label pre-1919. I have quite a bit, but there are some major gaps yet to fill.

My favorite find? It was the discovery of microphone/musician placement diagrams on the backs of some of the cards from Richmond, 1926, when Gennett was first engineering recordings electrically. I was stunned and pleased, to say the least!

2) One of the cards at Rutgers is a puzzler (just one?).It's mx 8289, recorded in NYC at 9 E. 37th Street on June 15, 1920. But, you say, mx 8289 would be for a recording date on March 21, 1923 - and so it is. But it's not the same title or artist and the card gives the 1920 recording date, backed up by a copper master shipping date (to Richmond) of June 19, 1920. The title on the card is is "Underneath The Moon (Waltz)" and the artist shows only as "Orchestra." I have found no release of this title anywhere in the Gennett catalog. Can anyone explain the anomaly?

Mal Rockwell