To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 2:17 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] 12 bit non-linear DAT and Sony LP mode

At 02:02 PM 2007-10-10, andy kolovos wrote:
Folks,

Richard Hess--as always--has been wonderful in addressing a series of questions I'm confronting, this time with some quirky DATs. I feel I need to let him off the hook at this point as I am sure he has better things to do than spend his day holding my hand. As such, now I am off to pester the lot of you.

1. Is this the same as the Sony LP mode, or did Sony do something characteristic and create there own proprietary LP mode?

What happens when you play it?

4. Assuming I can indeed get the tapes to play, does it make the most sense to output it as an analog signal and then bring it back into the digital domain via my A/D converter?

If the digital links don't work then this is a good way to go. I wouldn't worry much about the A-D adding anything--assuming you're using your normal "good" chain and hopefully the D-A in the playback machine is good enough.

P.S. to those who are interested, I've opted to go with the Aphex balancing amp based on Richard's thorough review.

Glad to be of help.

Cheers,

Richard