[ARSCLIST] [Fwd: Inquiry on Wax Cylinders]

To whom it may concern
best
Rainer E. Lotz

-------- Urspru"ngliche Nachricht --------
Betreff: 	Inquiry on Wax Cylinders
Datum: 	Thu, 27 Sep 2007 03:06:26 -0700
Von: 	"松村 チカコ" <chicazo@xxxxxxx>
An: 	chicazo@xxxxxxx

Dear Sir or Madam,

Hello. I am Chikako Matsumura (Tokyo National University of Fine Arts
and Music, The University Art Museum)
We  have 212 wax  cylinders in our museum.
A number of Japanese traditional songs were  recorded into them about
100 years ago, so it is one of the most
important collections in the world. However, our cylinders are
damaged by mold. Therefore we made an application for a Grant-in-Aid
for Scientific Research of Japan Society for the Promotion of
Science, and it was awarded in April 2006.

We have started a three-year Project on Preservation and Digitization
of Wax Cylinders in Meiji-era since then, in which we are planning to
clean the  cylinders and work out the best way to preserve them. Also
we are going to transfer them to a digital format and release their
information to the public.

We would be much obliged if you would answer some questions about the
preservation of cylinders and the way to release their information
including their sounds to the public. The questions are in the
attached file. We are especially interested in the method of
digitization. We have some information of playback equipment with
five lasers, and wonder if you know about it.

We are planning to research abroad and visit some institutes next
year, and we would like to know if we can visit you and hear about
your project.

If possible, we would appreciate to receive your reply by October
15th, for reasons of preparation.

Sincerely yours,

Project on Preservation, Digitization and of Wax Cylinders in Meiji-era

Questions about preservation of cylinders
1. Condition of cylinders; size, weight, decoration, format,
material, damage by insects and mold
Report of restoration
2. Condition of environment where cylinders are preserved;
temperature and humidity in the place, material of institute and
measures against insects and mold

Questions about the contents recorded into cylinders
Contents, date, place, players (performers), recorder

Other questions
1. Information about the playback equipment
2. Whether cylinders are transferred to digitization format
3. Whether information about cylinders are or were open to the public

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

◆Questions about cylinders◆

Name of your organization

Name of person in charge

Number of cylinders in your collection

Types of cylinders in your collection

Questions about preservation of cylinders
1. Condition of cylinders
Size :
Weight :
Color :
The form of package :
Format :
Material :
Damage by insects and mold :
Report of restoration :

2. Condition of environment where cylinders are stored
Temperature and humidity :
Material of storage facilities (the walls etc…):
The form of cylinders in your storage :
Measures against insects and mold :

Questions about the contents recorded into cylinders
Contents; name of songs, record of voice etc...