Re: [ARSCLIST] Opera on VHS

If he wants pre-queued selections, he should prepare a tape before the presentation rather than juggling a dozen or so sources. Easy to dub from either dvd or vhs source onto one tape.
I checked Berkshire Record Outlet - they have almost no vhs opera (looked like 2 titles)
Movies Unlimited and Facets have been dumping VHS, but don't know what they have if any, and probably at list unless special sale.
I would think the best place to find vhs (though probably few operas) would be the "bargain bins" in discount stores, "dollar" stores etc.
Best wishes, Thomas.

David Lennick wrote:

Taking a DVD player isn't an option because he needs to have each opera pre-cued to the excerpt he wants to play. But recommendations appreciated! Sorry about Ariadne..I must have Naxos on the brain.

dl

Mike Richter wrote:

David Lennick wrote:

Well, there's a subject line guaranteed to lead to instant oblivion. But I'll ask anyway..are there still sources for operas on VHS? A colleague in Toronto has asked if I know where to find some, since he's delivering a lecture next month in a locale that doesn't know from DVD (and everybody concerned is past the point of being able to go to DVD or transfer from same, even for temporary periods).

He's looking for the following (I've also suggested that he try Amazon, and I'll look when I go to the Kingston [Ont] Symphony Association Music Sale later this week:

Hansel and Gretel
Pelleas et Melisande
Bluebeard's Castle
Elektra
Ariadne et Barbe-Blue

..plus any other suggestions if they're moderately priced.

What an odd assortment! Try Amazon for VHS, but don't look for much particularly in those relatively obscure titles. (NOTE: It's Ariane, without the 'd'). Even easier, take a DVD player and the appropriate DVDs to the venue. Plug it in where the VHS player is now and then excellent choices of performance should be playable.

My choices for those titles (except the Dukas, which I've not found on video in any format) are:
Hansel und Gretel (in German): Solti
Pelleas et Melisande: Boulez
Bluebeard's Castle: Solti
Elektra: Boehm

I don't have a recommendation for Hansel and Gretel (in English) because the few I've found in video have severe limitations of production and/or performance.

Mike