Re: [ARSCLIST] speaking of turntables ...

Sures are the best I have used so far for 78s.

                                       Roger

phillip holmes <insuranceman@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Steven,
I've never been able to track a 78 at less than 2.8 grams.  It seems
that the skating forces at 78 rpm want to throw the cartridge around.
Combine that with awful surfaces and out-of-center pressings, and you
have a monumental task for any modern cartridge.

Actually, I helped a jazz collector/dealer set up a Dual with one of the
snazzy Shure 78 cartridges and got it to track like a champ at a little
less than 3 grams.  I still set it to 3 since we were playing back mint
Blue Notes and some of what he'd be playing was pretty gnarly stuff.
That Dual pretty much sucked for anything else, but worked just fine for
78 playback.

Phillip

> Also Sprach Steven C. Barr:
>
> As well, to my ears there is something lacking when a modern turntable,
> with a tracking pressure of one gram or less, is used to play a 78rpm
> record. I have always preferred the "one ounce" (28 grams) pressure
> of my old "78 decks"...?!
>
> As well, the one-volt(+/-) output of a typical ceramic cartridge, as
> well as its output impedance, seem to be an accurate match for "Line
> In" inputs...?!
>

> (and you can spend the rest of the $1500 on MORE RECORDS...?!)

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.