Re: [ARSCLIST] speaking of turntables ...

Hello, Tom,

In 1970, I bought a Dual 1219 and still have it in its original box -- too much rumble.

In about 1976, I bought a Technics SL-1100A and still have it in its original box. Speed needs checking once in a while as it is not crystal locked, otherwise excellent table.

In about 2002, our generous friend Don gave me an SL-1200 MK II? (I think it's a MK II) which is now what I am using for my playback. I am quite happy with it except it doesn't do 78s.

I recently came across two SP10 (I think MK II) turntables (but, alas, only one power supply). Someday, I may build one into a plinth and perhaps even make a varispeed for it like the BBC had Technics do...but that is low on the list of priorities (replacing all the bearings in some A80s is higher on the list as is upconverting one to 15/30).

In 1970, I bought my first Stanton 681EE cartridge. I have happily used variants of that ever since.

In the summer of 1971, I worked in the labs of Fisher Radio in Long Island City. An engineer there, the late John Klanatsky, had run tests with a CBS test record that clearly showed that the Stanton had lots of ringing while the Shure line did not. He gave me a Shure M91ED which I never warmed to.

A few years later, a magazine (I think it was AUDIO) did scanning electron micrographs (SEMs) of the CBS test records--they had ringing on them.

I had an extended love affair with an AKG P8ES but I think perhaps more because it was higher output and slightly brighter.

In the days of CD and an RTS 405 phono preamp, I adjusted the cartridge loading by ear by switching between LP and CD of a few recordings that I loved. I put on a test record or two and found the response to be within about 2 dB at 12 kHz. I was pleased. I tweaked slightly based on the test records.

I went back to the Stanton 681 (now an EEE) and am pleased overall with the results.

I don't professionally transfer from LP (others on this list do) and I send all requests for disc transfers to some of the experts. I just do it for fun.

Cheers,

Richard