Re: [ARSCLIST] speaking of turntables ...

Tom,
I'd always recommend a good used table. For great sound, the SOTA Sapphire tables with an MMT arm are great for 33 and 45 (no 78). The SOTA has the most effective spring suspension that I've heard and seems to have isolation as good as anything else. Think "leaf spring" where the platter hangs from the leaf spring (as opposed to a coil spring where the platter assembly sits on top and gyrates wildly). The belt drive isolates the motor. They're still made and expensive. Used, they can be had for $400-800. My only pet peeve is that you have to check the speed occasionally--it can drift, but is easily adjusted from on top of the table.

A similar good used value is the VPI HW19, but there are myriad variations with prices all over the place and the isolation isn't as good as the SOTA.

If you can find one (I sold one recently to Mal Rockwell--he can tell you the strengths), is the Technics SP15 that has 33/45/78 with all three speeds variable (the SP10 mk2, also very good, doesn't have variable speed). They are VERY advanced direct drives with twelve square inches of circuit boards. Occasionally, the power supply craps out and the platter runs with a lot of vibration OR runs backward (great for picking out satanic messages I guess). I fixed an SP10mkii that was running backwards because of bad power supply caps. So, because of complexity, buyer should beware. Also, since it is a "motor unit", like the Thorens TD124 and Garrard 301, they require a plinth, which may or may not come with the table. No suspension either.

I've heard good things about the modified Technics direct drive units from KAB. The weakest link of these tables are the cheesy tonearms. They don't suck, but they do let the rest of the package down. The motor of the Technics SL-1200 is well engineered and long lived. Somewhere, I saw a modification kit to removed the cheesy stock tonearm and replace it with a Rega RB300. On the other hand, the RB300 doesn't have detachable headshells. If you want a detachable headshell, that might be something to attract you to the stock arm. Also, you have to carefully situate the table away from vibration.
https://www.kabusa.com/KAB_BST.HTM

I have a TD124 and a Garrard 301 and they're both too noisy, in my opinion, for a professional to use. Just my opinion there--not saying they suck or anything like that. Also, the prices on those two are too high to fit in the $1,500 budget.

Hope this is useful.

Thanks,
Phillip

Tom Fine wrote:
What's the group wisdom on the best performance/value turntable and cartridge for under, say, $1500 all told (including shipping and taxes)? The use would be mostly personal listening but also some transfer work, especially of test pressings and laquers. Is there a solution that could also accomodate 78RPM and wide-groove disks or is it better to do that with a separate unit?

Interested in various solutions used by members of this group, and thanks in advance for any/all advise and input.

-- Tom Fine