Re: [ARSCLIST] Supplies for transporting LP collections

Most milk crates are too small for Lps, There was a crate available in the 90s that was perfect in size for Lps, including in height, they were discontinued, but the Container Store currently sells them and they are about $8 each. There is/was even a version that is narrower and holds about 30 records. I have managed to get most of the ones I have from yard sales and thrift stores, but they are not easy to find. That container is like milk crates and so it has numerous holes on the sides, if you are looking for a totally enclosed container that is harder to find, but if you are willing to go cardboard, wine boxes are frequently the right size, and you can discard them and use fresh ones for cleaned records.

"Steven C. Barr(x)" <stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:  ----- Original Message -----
From: "Bertram Lyons"
> List members ---
>
> We are in the process of transporting (in small increments) 2,000 lps
> for cleaning and re-housing treatments. The lps will be transferred
> from one building to another and then back again. We would like to
> transport them in manageable groups (20 items at a time). Because of the
> presence of mold and debris, we would like to use plastic (inert)
> materials so that we can clean the boxes in between uses.
>
> Does anyone have suggestions for manufacturers or products that we can
> evaluate?

If possible (and this may be very difficult...?) try to find 20 or 25
"milk boxes" (the plastic crates used to transport milk from dairy to
stores) manufactured prior to c.1980, when they were "downsized" because
too many were being "comandeered" by record dealers/collectors users...!
The newer size would NOT quite hold LP albums in their jackets.

Note, however, that the newer size of milk box will hold 25-30 albums,
placed in on a slight diagonal.

Should you not be able to arrange a temporary "loan" of a few such milk
boxes (or not wish to acquire them illicitly...?!)...I believe that there
are "civilian" versions of them being sold.

Other than that, they would be perfect for your project. They are made of
heavy plastic (I have no idea what KIND thereof!), are slightly less than
12" across in each dimension and are about 11.5" high...and are stackable.
They can be easily cleaned with soap and hot water.

If you are fortunate enough to find the older, larger sort, these will hold
LP albums in standard jackets (up to a hundred or more). As well, since these
have long since been discontinued by the original dairy owners, there would
be no legal issues relating to their use.

The best of these were from c.1975-c.1979, are made of fiberglas and are
effectively unbreakable.

Steven C. Barr
(whose 78rpm archives are kept in these...mostly in the fiberglas type,
since I was given about 250 by a concenience-store owner who had them
on hand when the dairy no longer wanted them...!)

Dr. Cheryl Thurber

email: cthurb@xxxxxxxxx