Re: [ARSCLIST] IRENE article

Hello,

I've downloaded stylus and optical version of Chattanooga Blues - Ida Cox,
placed on the mentioned site, and have huge disappointment by the
method of doing some nasty things with mechanically reproduced material -
disturbing scratches that can be heard during loud passages are, in fact,
not inherent in analog reproduction, but they are awful DIGITAL CLIPS, probably
generated by someone not so well skilled in restoration/digitization
process! Despite that fact, analog/mechanical transfer to my ears is far more superior
than optical one - anyone heard muffled voice and high frequency whistling
and other disturbances in opticaly transfered record?

So, if we are in situation to decide what works better, still I will wrote
for mechanical process! None of the characteristic of optical process, or
overall sounds proves optical is superior than mechanical (OK, I know that
IRENE is in prime early stage of development, but someone must see the
advantage to push things further).

But, speaking of not-contact process, for transfer of valuable, rare and
hard to find another copy material, IRENE is priceless.

I'm in hope that things can be better, and they will sound better, when
additional researches will put some new light on geometry of the grooves
themselves, and facts that grooves are not damaged alongside theirs profile...

Best wishes,
Milan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Aaron Levinson" <aaron.levinson@xxxxxxxxxxx>