Re: [ARSCLIST] Blu-Ray gets the BetaMax treatment

The article leaves out an important factor. HD DVD is more popular in Europe, leading the market there just as Blu-ray is doing in the US, or so I've read. Similar to Beta doing better in Japan and VHS being the popular format in the US.

Joe Salerno

Tom Fine wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/21/technology/21disney.html

Another Sony format about to be marginalized.

I wonder if either of these HD formats will catch on near-term. I predict a major outrage and perhaps outright rebellion among "da folks" when NTSC TV really gets switched off. Sure, everyone in certain elite groups now has a flat-panel HD television, but most of the rest of us don't and don't want to spend thousands to replace the TV's in our house simply because someone is hyping an allegedly better boob-tube.

-- Tom Fine