[ARSCLIST] Tape restoration for newbies

Dear friends:

A friend just acquired a studio tape made in mid-1969. It's a 7.5 IPS
2-track 1/4" recording on Agfa tape.

While he would not likely do any restoration on the tape himself, he would
like to understand any possible issues involved in having it played and
digitized. Can anyone suggest a URL or URLs (or, I suppose, a print
article!) that go into a discussion of how to determine if baking is
required? Whether it should be played first or baked first? Baking "recipe"?
Etc.?

He will not have an ongoing supply of such tapes and would also be
interested in learning of folks/companies that might be able to help him out
in this case.

Please post anything of general interest to the list, and feel free to email
me privately with any information that I should just pass along directly to
the owner.

Many thanks,

Joel Bresler

Joel Bresler
250 E. Emerson Rd.
Lexington, MA 02420
USA

781-862-4104 (Telephone & FAX)
joel.br@xxxxxxxxxxx
IN CASE OF VERIZON EMAIL PROBLEMS, PLEASE USE MY BACK-UP EMAIL:
joelbresler-at-gmail.com