Re: [ARSCLIST] ASCAP follows RIAA down the road guaranteed not to make friends

And as I noted a couple of days ago, there is such a thing as music you can
buy
on CD with performance rights and royalties included, from a variety of
publishers. They sell mostly to TV, radio and film producers but also to
theatres, and the music is in brand new recordings and often in any style
you
like (a lot of them are called "soundalike"..say you want The Pink Panther

Years and years ago, when I had a radio station, these jingle producers
would come in, ask local businesses if there was a song they wanted their
jingle to sound like. Then they would make is similar enough to recognize,
but different enough (or so they said) that a person could not get sued.
Someone here would know better than me, but I know that there is a formula
used as far as how much a tune has to be changed to avoid copyrite issues. I
think the whole He's So Fine vs My Sweet Lord defined some of that.
Theme but Mr. Mancini's estate has other ideas, and these music services
would
probably have one or two tracks that sound pretty close to it). And ASCAP
can't
do a thing about it if you've paid for it.