Re: [ARSCLIST] ASCAP follows RIAA down the road guaranteed not to make friends

John,

Interesting. Also, regarding demute's comments. I agree that bars should be
paying the licensing fees. My main complaint was the double dipping. When I
had the radio station, we were getting calls from little souvenir or gift
shops and that kind of place. They had our station on and the ASCAP enforcer
went through. The fees they wanted were not large, but as a radio station
between ASCAP and the larger BMI I was paying almost $1200.00 PER MONTH in
licensing fees. That by the way, was the early 1980's so that was
substantial change back then. SESAC which had little product except for
gospel music was getting far less, more like $25.00 per month. So, when they
charged us what they did and then wanted another $200.00 per year from the
little shop, that was pretty aggravating.

Frankly, I always found the larger BMI easier to deal with than ASCAP.
Demute: I saw that your web radio is old music so perhaps you do not have
any BMI material. I am no expert on the history but, as I recall, BMI came
along later and was a response by broadcasters who thought they were getting
ripped off by ASCAP. So maybe your old music is all ASCAP. I can tell you
that, when I had the commercial station up until ten years ago, most of the
newer music is BMI. Every year or two we did a log, for one of the licensing
firms or the other, and had to write down each song and who licensed it --
that was a part of our license agreement and in theory writers are paid
based on the radio play. We would do one for ASCAP and another for BMI. For
all the years we did this, we found that about 55% or more of the music was
BMI with ASCAP at about 40% and SESAC way down the line at maybe 5% and that
is probably high.They did pickup some popular country artists in the 1980's
which made them go up a bit. I think it is safe to say that any
establishment, such as bars or shops, trying to comply with the rules MUST
have both the ASCAP and the BMI license. They could probably pass on SESAC,
as much of their inventory is gospel. Although the largest percentage of
popular music of recent decades is with BMI, they seem less aggressive in
their enforcement,around here at least.
Steve