Re: [ARSCLIST] two inch or not two inch

Which reminds me, I should have that Thibault disc to transfer by Friday. Let's hope I don't have to piece it together with Magic Tape, Binding Tape, Duct Tape (anybody ever try to play records someone stuck together with masking tape or electric tape? It's been done).

dl

rodbrown wrote:
Thanks David,

I admit I haven't tried Scotch Magic mending tape for piecing together broken records (except along the outer edges; I have done that, and with similar good results as you mention).

But holding together multiple breaks, or a record that's not just 'bitten,' but perhaps broken in half, I've assumed that regular old 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch wide tape wouldn't cover enough area alongside the join, nor be sticky enough, to hold broken pieces together securely. No doubt I should give it a try. Heck, I'll use Post It notes if they'll do the job.

I've only been collecting (hoarding?) 78s for a few years now. I'm pretty sure I don't yet have anything in my collection that is very scarce, and for that reason I may be too casual in my approach to salvaging the audio from wrecked records. The broken ones I've digitized sometimes have gone into the wastebasket afterwards. But many were still keepers, and for that reason I appreciate your point about the possibility that flakes of program material will be stripped away from some records when clear, two-inch-wide packaging tape is removed.

On the other hand, I really have had no problem with any stickiness remaining on records' surfaces when I remove this kind of tape. I've looked very closely using multiple magnifiers and plenty of light, yet I've never seen even a trace of adhesive remaining. I keep hoping they won't change the formula for this tape in the near future.

In any case, and on an earlier topic, I really want to thank you for finding us a copy of Conrad Thibault's elusive "The Lord's Prayer." You are so Da Man!

Best,
Rod

Just a suggestion....as you've said to use less of the glue, I advise using a minimal amount of tape to hold broken pieces together (and obviously don't even think about this procedure on broken glass lacquers except on the ungrooved portion). Having grown up with 78s which parents occasionally had to glue together..back when the only option was LePages Iron Glue which you applied with a matchstick (remember, kiddies?), I'm used to positioning broken pieces together. But be aware that certain discs, such as Decca and Capitol, will have breaks that tend to flake on one side..too much tape and you remove more of the disc's surface along with the tape.

I would also definitely not use 2" packing tape, except for the lousy cheapo stuff sold by the stationery stores..the GOOD stuff is thick and tends to stick and may leave deposits or may actually break more of the disc when you remove it. Scotch Magic has been my choice since the early 60s and I find that discs I pieced together then (along the outer edge) are still intact today. It's also easy to remove.

dl