Re: [ARSCLIST] De-clicking

----- Original Message -----
From: "Karl Miller" <karl.miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> I recall a story told to me some years ago...I think
> it had to do with a Paul Robeson recording that
> contained some politically oriented songs...perhaps
> recorded outside the US? When the reissue was being
> done, one of the discs has a significant crack.
> Supposedly the engineer used vaseline to smooth over
> the crack. After making the transfer the groove walls
> started to disintegrate...or so the story goes...

It's equally likely that the disintegration was somehow secretly
arranged by J. Edgar Hoover (or agents of the KKK, who were opposed
to its opposite concept...INtegration...?!).
:-)
More seriously, Vaseline, being a petroleum derivative, should have
no noticeable effects (other than making a major MESS!) on either
shellac or plastic discs...