Re: [ARSCLIST] Cracked Cylinder Record

on 7/26/07 6:35 PM US/Central, Tom Fine at tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

> Back in ye olde tape splicing days, it took about as much time as Terry faces,
> but one cut and splice did the job for each click.

Actually, Jack Towers and others used a jig made from ebony wood, using an
full track Ampex head set in the middle. There was a supply and takeup reel
that could be rocked to find the offending click.

A China marker was used to mark the location, the tape was flipped, and an
X-Acto knife was used to scrape off the oxide layer at the chosen spot.

Lather, rinse, repeat. Endlessly almost.

But no splicing was ever required.

I am almost certain this method was inspired by John R.T. Davies.

This was advanced technology in its day. The Packburn equipment came later.

Interestingly, Jack Towers told me the clicks sometimes re-emerged a bit the
following morning. I've often wondered how much of this was caused by ear
fatigue, as a result of the intensive hours of work connected with this
truly manual de-clicking.

--
Parker Dinkins
MasterDigital Corporation