Re: [ARSCLIST] Urgent Message From SaveNetRadio ^

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dismuke" <dismukemail@xxxxxxxxx>
> --- "Steven C. Barr(x)" <stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > Well, when I was but a lad, I recall listening to
> > XERF (which had 150KW, as
> > opposed to the mere 50KW allowed stations in the US
> > of A...)
>
> There is at least one border blaster still going
> strong.  XEG in Monterrey, Mexico.  The station's
> website is at: http://tinyurl.com/2rskwd
>
> It still blows out at 100,000 watts on a clear channel
> 1050 AM.  You can hear it on a good night pretty much
> anywhere between the Appalacians and the Rockies.
> Depending on where you are in Canada, you might even
> be able to pick it up there as well.  The station's
> format is a Mexican musical genre called Ranchera.  It
> is not bad - if I am stuck driving around late at
> night and have no other access to music other than an
> AM/FM radio, I much prefer it over the stuff that
> American stations spew out. In Mexico, melody can
> still be heard in music.

Well, I shall have to check that out...when/if I get access to a decent
AM receiver! My E.H. Scott 800-B would do it...but, sadly, it's about
700 miles away...and weighs about 300 pounds (the cabinet, being solid
mahogany veneered with mahogany, is much of that weight...!). Sadly,
the halfway-decent AM receivers of the pre-WWII era are now "ANTIQUE
RADIOS" and thus sell for several hundred bucks...working order NOT
guaranteed!

I can recall late-night "AM DX-ing" when one heard all sorts of Spanish-
language stations...probably mostly Mexican, but since I couldn't understand
Spanish, I had no way of knowing for sure...!