Re: [ARSCLIST] Urgent Message From SaveNetRadio

----- Original Message -----
From: "Karl Miller" <karl.miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>   ***I also think a copyright holder has a right to forbid those he does
> not want to use his product from broadcasting it. Radio stations, Internet and
otherwise, do NOT, in my opinion, have an inherent RIGHT to use other people's
intellectual property.

No...as I understand it, "broadcasting" a copyrighted sound recording (either
as a specific recording or as a performance of a tune carrying a publisher
and/or composer copyright...) carries with it the concept of "mandatory
license!"

In the US of A (although, apparently, NOT in Canada...at least for the last
few decades...) the composer and/or publisher of a song are legally REQUIRED
to permit its public performance (unless they can legally prove that a
specific artist and a specific performance "exposes the song to ridicule,"
and thus reduces its value and possible royalties...!). Apparently, up
here in "Soviet Canuckistan," the idea of "Mandatory License" does NOT
exist...which means that if Weird Al Yankovic wants to record my "Too
Much Month (And Not Enough Money)," I can refuse him the right to do so...!

Steven C. Barr
(If Mr. Yankovic wishes to record my "magnum opus," I hereby grant him the
right to do so, no questions asked...!)
(THERE! Four two-letter words ending in "O" used in order coherently! Who's
gonna try for FIVE?!...)