From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Sam Brylawski
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 2:53 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ARSCLIST] 78s, SoundExchange, & SaveNetRadio

Internet radio may be crucial to promotion of historical recordings, but if
an internet radio station plays only 78s and early LPs in their original
form, i.e. not from CDs, the recent webcasting fees do not apply. Pre-1972
sound recordings have no federal copyright protection and digital
dissemination fees cannot be collected for streaming them.

That said, SoundExchange could always try to go after internet streaming of
pre-1972 recordings through state courts, and music copyright fees apply to
all recordings of post-1922 music. But again, this controversy does not
apply to any recording pressed before February 15, 1972.

Sam