Re: [ARSCLIST] LP pressing question

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Philip Holmes wrote:

> Well, real test pressing or not, a 10" Atlantic acetate is going to
> command attention from today's collectors.

----- it is much easier to fake an "acetate" than a pressing, so I would be
much more wary of an "acetate" than of a pressing. Getting proper shellac mix
or shellac substitute is quite difficult, but to cut a fresh laquer on old
stock Audiodisc or the similar is not difficult. Add a musty envelope and a
few surface scuffs, perhaps leaving the cut disc in the air to vent some of
the camphor - and you are in business. The label might have to be faked in
off-set printing, but do you know - sometimes you find piles of unused test
record labels sitting around. The only thing that remains is to use the
correct glue for sticking-on that label on the "acetate" - but I'm not
telling what that is.

This is also why I am much more wary of early Berliners - no label to
authenticate the record. And who knows what ebonite (= hard rubber) feels
like, anyway. Faking by re-casting is not at all unimagineable. Sold at e-bay
- well everything goes ("going, going, gone!").

Kind regards,

George