Re: [ARSCLIST] Is The Record Shop Dead?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger and Allison Kulp" <thorenstd124@xxxxxxxxx>
> Seriously,why shellac ? Surely you're familiar with those reissues of rare
opera 78s that are pressed at 78 RPM on high quality vinyl ?

Simply because a "plastic" 78 doesn't feel to me like a "real 78!" I have a
1968 (I think) vinyl 78rpm disc...interestingly enough, one side is STEREO!
(the mate to it had, I think, a quadrophonic side...?!). It looks and feels
like a 10" LP...not a "78." It seems to have been pressed by RCA(C), either
to demonstrate the new formats or, possibly for in-house comparison...?!

Admittedly, a vinly 78rpm disc would be easier to source, and both quieter
and higher-fidelity than a shellac equivalent...but, a shellac 78 has a
certain inherent "cachet" as a token of a vanished past...

Steven C. Barr
(who happily lives in a c.1869 house...!)