Re: [ARSCLIST] 3 inch records

----- Original Message -----
From: <Mwcpc6@xxxxxxx>
> Philco-Ford tried to introduce a series of 3" flexible "Hip Pocket Records"
> in the 60s.  I wonder if Decca pressed these and even tried to issue  some on
> their own label.

Quick answer...NO to both! In fact, I'm not even sure of the playing speed of
the "Hip Pocket" Philco discs...I bought a very large stack of those, sold
most of them for a respectable profit, and think I still may have a couple...?!

I have no idea about 3" Decca discs (in fact, don't recall having ever seen
one...!). Were these playable? If so, at what speed?

I think Durium may have pressed some 3" or 3.5" (Hans?!) discs...outside of
that the smallest 78rpm discs were the 5.5" Little Wonder (etc.) and Emerson
(nominally 5") records. There were also UK labels that issued discs in the
same size range (I can think of Mimosa, for one).

As well, there was (and I may have cited this) the 2.5" disc which HMV
pressed for inclusion with the miniature phonograph they created for
the Princesses' birthday and/or Christmas...which they later sold as a
novelty item...!

Oddly enough, I DO own a set of "miniature Saturday Evening Posts" which
were intended to be sent to US/Canadian/British troops in WWII. The
contents are various selected articles from the SEP...and the "magazines"
are about 4" x 6" with covers copied (in reduced size) from earlier SEP's.

As a passing note...it IS possible to purchase "CD business cards" which
include, in an embossed top layer, the effective equivalent of a 2.5" data
CD...!