Re: [ARSCLIST] Is The Record Shop Dead?

New vinyl is alive and well,but it's all online,just like Ron Paul's supporters.This was one of the points made in the BBC piece.

                                 Roger

Aaron Levinson <aaron.levinson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Actually, at least here in these parts that institution still exists and
I am truly thankful that it does. No fewer than 5 within 5-7 miles of
each other. I know that sounds crazy but its true. I actually think that
a small footprint chain that sold nothing but vinyl
would do really well. Vinyl sales are up 30% in the last year and I see
no end in sight. If someone carried Dylan, Tool, Coltrane,
Outkast and a bunch of great music on wax I bet it would do really well.
Stroll in, buy a few albums, and get that elated, "I just bought
'Introducing Roland Kirk' on a 180 gram pressing feeling". There is
still nothing like it. Viva Vinyl anyone?

AA

phillip holmes wrote:
> The real record shop died a slow death in the '90s.  What I mean by
> real is:  33, 45, and 78 rpm; all genres; record care supplies;
> ephemera; the selection of replacement styli; the stylus magnifier;
> the audition turntable and headphones; tobacco smoke _OR_ an old man
> chewing a cigar _OR_ the hourly help dealing pot out the back (but
> preferably all three); two pair of JBL L100 on the walls; cardboard
> stand-up Beatles; a ceramic nipper somewhere in the store; at least
> one crotchety old worker and one bipolar young worker; a jaded owner
> that USED to be in "the business"; the smell of paper aging (the not
> acid-free kind); and let's not forget the most important part of a
> real record shop--delusional and weird record collectors.  Yes, it's
> dead.
> Phillip
>
> Roger and Allison Kulp wrote:
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/shows/music_week/agenda_recordshops.shtml

>> Be a PS3 game guru.
>> Get your game face on with the latest PS3 news and previews at Yahoo!
>> Games.

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.