Re: [ARSCLIST] Is The Record Shop Dead?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dismuke" <dismukemail@xxxxxxxxx>
> I went to the one in New York City on Broadway not too
> far from Greenwich Village a couple of years ago.  It
> was one of the only times in my life as an adult I
> actually had to make a choice between which brand new
> CDs of 1920s and 1930s reissues I wanted to buy as I
> had already picked out about $200 worth of stuff.
> They even had British releases of reissues that I was
> not even aware existed.   THAT store would have been
> wonderful to have had in Fort Worth/Dallas.
>
> On the other hand, when I was in Atlanta several years
> ago I went out of my way to visit the Tower Records
> there and found absolutely nothing of interest.

One consideration in these cases may be the fact that US copyright law
effectively makes it illegal (and thus not recommended) to reissue ANY
sound recording unless you either own it or make an agreement to pay
the copyright owner whatever they ask for its use...! I would assume
that also makes it legally risky to sell reissue CD's...even though it
would be the buyers that are breaking the law (and then, IIRC, only
when/if they play them...?).

I don't understand exactly how the DMCA applies to recordings NOT made
in the US of A...but since we here in Canada can legally sell reissues
of recordings under US copyright, it would be likewise ILlegal to sell
pre-1957 Canadian (usw.) recordings in the US...?!