Re: [ARSCLIST] OK - Does Anyone Know More About This?

Brave ???????  GAD ! I think not !!

BH

>>> thorenstd124@xxxxxxxxx 6/18/2007 3:23 PM >>>
We need to wake up to the fact,that the "golden age" of recorded
sound,and the  playback of same,is over,and it's not coming back.It has
been quite a while,since I heard a record that has really impressed me
sonically,and production-wise,be it vinyl or CD.The last one that comes
to mind,is "Rock Star God",by The Makers, and that came out in 2000.

The long,slow death of all music formats is well underway.We have
entered a world where The iPod has become the new reference.This is the
brave new world we have entered.There will always be an interest in what
used to be called"high end audio",or "HiFi".That will never fully
die,but it will always be a tiny niche market.It is just one small part
of the general decline of society.Economically,
socially,culturally,politically,or any other yardstick you care to use.

                                       Roger

Tom Fine <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Hi Don:

Unless you live in Silicon Valley or an area where Wall Street bonuses
get spent, I think you might
want to talk to some high end dealers. Yes, the $1000 "cinema in a box"
market is borderline
mainstream (although I only know 2 people out of maybe 100 I've asked
who have a surround system and
view DVD's in surround sound, and both of them are audio
professionals), but the high end market is
in the toilet according to the audiophool mags. There will definitely
be a market to sell $50k
surround cinema systems to the latest dot-bomb millionaire, but that is
the definition of fringe.
Any SACD sales figures I've seen (and they're elusive because no one
wants to admit to the
mainstream media or Wall Street what a total failure the format has
been in the marketplace) are so
low as to not cause a ripple vs. CD. They might stand up as a ripple
vs. download sales but we all
know that a lot of downloading is done outside legal sales channels and
the only hard figures I've
seen on numbers of songs sold come from Apple.

I'm not sure how you measure the labels you mentioned as "overtaking"
anyone. Except for Naxos, most
of these are shoe-string operations selling into what may well be a
profitable niche, but still a
niche. If you're talking the small and shrinking
recorded-classical-music market, yes the small fry
are relatively big players in that space. But how many people under 50
buy classical music
recordings anymore?

Listen, I wish more than anyone that good music and truly high-fidelity
recordings (both classical
and jazz) weren't going extinct, but the market is a cruel mistress and
when people don't have an
interest in buying something, there is no incentive to make it. And
culturally/socially, I think
it's wrong to force something down unwilling throats (especially when
it's unwillingly subsidized by
their tax dime) just because an elite somewhere considers it high-brow
or "refined" -- if the pepes
aren't interested, they're not interested and the market will give the
poeple what they want.

-- Tom Fine