To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2007 5:00 PM
Subject: [ARSCLIST] OK - Does Anyone Know More About This?

According to Music & Arts' "Stokowski and Kubelik conduct Experimental
Stereo Recordings from 1952" (MUA 1190) contains an experimental stereo
recording, made by Bert Whyte, during the sessions for Rafael Kubelik's
Mercury recording of Ma vlast. The piece is "Tabor," and annotator Edward
Johnson writes "Other such experiments from THAT and later Kubelik/CSO
sessions are known to exist but this is the first to be released..."

What "other such experiments" from this session "[is] known to exist?" I'm
particularly - strongly, in fact - interested in any stereo takes of the
movement "From Bohemia's Woods and Fields" from this December 1952 session.
Even in mono, this performance is positively electrifying.

David N. Lewis
Assistant Classical Editor, All Music Guide

"To collect [folksongs] without a phonograph - until there's something
better - is mad and criminal." - Percy Grainger, 1907