Re: [ARSCLIST] MP3

I familiarized myself with MP3 technology through the O'Reilly book "MP3: The Definitive Guide" by Scot Hacker. Unless it's been updated, it's pretty obsolete now, so I would recommend buying it used for a coupla bux vs. new for many more bux. It's somewhat Linux-centric in some ways but the general technical knowledge about how MP3 works hasn't changed, I don't think.

I speak from having years of experience with MP3 and other lossy-compression audio formats, both as a user and producer of files and also editing audio for a proprietary format (Audible) in that format's early years. In fact, I'm one of the first 100 registrants for MusicMatch, which way back when was by far the best Windows MP3 encoder both in sound quality and ease of use. And I've owned and used portable MP3 players since the Rio500 (the original Rio was just too expensive and low-grade to tempt me). To my ears, which I would say are pretty critical because I know what to listen for, MP3 is not similar or same as the original CD audio -- no matter what the encoder or player, they just effect how dissimilar it is -- until you get up into relatively high bitrates for music. 256kbps certainly gets OK for headphone listening and background music and 512kbps starts to get indistinguishable under most conditions from the CD audio. However, in a studio monitoring environment with relatively loud listening levels, even 512kbps is clearly not identical to the source.

In the higher bitrate modes, you don't have problems of digi-swishing in the background or "lisping" sibellence (sp?) like you do with lower bitrates (including almost any streaming bitrate below 128kbps). The problems to listen for are:

-- lack of treble, as if someone had turned down the top frequencies with a graphic equalizer
-- lack of image depth and width, probably due to lack of treble
-- sometimes strange things with loud and fast impulse information
-- some encoders and players seem to also lop off the low bass information under some circumstances, even at surprisingly high bitrates
-- lack of "breath", both literally and figuratively, around acoustic instruments and lack of "air and space" around large ensembles. It's not a terrible loss for headphone or background listening, but if you're in a critical monitoring environment you can tell immediately that the music is less "front and center" or "present."
-- MP3 encoding seems to worsen distortion from "toothpaste" over-compressed CD's. I would imagine it's lossy nature has something to do with this but I'm not sure what.

These effects vary with the type of music you are encoding and how the original source material was recorded and mastered. For instance, I have very good luck with mono LPs crunched to 256kbps. What seems to happen is some of the undesireable LP artifacts are less audible vs, the underlying music. This is using both Sony Soundforge's MP3 encoder and Apple iTunes for Windows.

One thing to note with listening tests is that the listeners probably should be somewhat familiar with the source material. A crappy recording is a crappy recording, no matter what the format. And, listener A might be very clear on what a violin sounds like because she's been to many a concert or maybe plays one herself. Listener B might be very clear that the guitarist is playing a Gibson Les Paul through a Fender Bassman amp but might not know the first thing about how a violin sounds. So even what might seem to be a scientific blind test has all sorts of objectivism built in if humans are used.

One other caveat. For most spoken word material, especially when it's close-mic'd and mono, 128kbps MP3 is more than enough to have perfectly good audibility. Some would argue 64kbps is OK but I'd say bare minimum for avoid digi-swishies around "s" sounds is 96kbps with most human voices.

-- Tom Fine

PS -- back a few years ago, I did extensive listening tests with Windows Media format and found it to be inferior to MP3. They have since improved the format and, for instance, I find 128kbps stream WMA to be much higher quality to 128kbps streaming MP3 -- and more reliable to stream correctly over the Internet at least from the sources I listen to. But WMA is not a universal format, and seems to have been optimized for streaming. I never did similar tests with AAC because I'm heavily invested in MP3 as my lossy format of choice, but 128kbps iTunes purchases are clearly inferior to the original sources, and even include enough digi-swishies to be unlistenable in some cases. Mono 128kbps AAC is much better as far as fidelity to the original source than stereo, which is to be expected from a lossy format. To Apple's credit, they continue to improve the iTunes software and the iPod is far and away the best portable digital music player ever developed (and I've owned and tried many others). I am certainly not one to be singing Apple's praises or joining the Mac-worship cult, but I think they hit a home run with the iPod.

Sorry for the long post but hopefully it's helpful to someone.

----- Original Message ----- From: "George Brock-Nannestad" <pattac@xxxxxxxx>