Re: [ARSCLIST] MP3

-----Original Message-----
>From George Brock-Nannestad: "...The Perceptual Audio Evaluation: Theory,
Method and Application
by Soeren Bech and - N Zacharov,..."

I hate to say this but based on the excerpts in Amazon and on what I saw
offered as suggestions for further reading, I wouldn't buy this book without
first examining it very carefully.

This is an area that is in desperate need of a comprehensive reference book
but there appear to be some major omissions here. The authors, while having
reputations in consumer electronics evaluation, don't appear to be experts
in lossy audio coding or the advanced listening tests that needed to be
developed in order to invent that technology. Somewhat more disturbing to
me, they also don't appear to be citing anybody I've ever heard of who is an
expert in that area. As I said in my earlier post, the vast majority of
significant literature about lossy audio coding has been published by the
IEEE and not the AES.

Certainly Amazon excerpts could be very misleading and I could easily have a
very wrong impression. The publisher also has an excellent reputation
however it isn't unprecedented for a book about audio that is seriously
lacking in homework having been done by the author to be offered by a
respected publisher.

Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com