[ARSCLIST] R: [ARSCLIST] Laughing Records

I can tell you a little Neapolitan (Italian) story.
Naples, 1895, sept. A couple of local performers is walking into the Galleria
Umberto I (a beautiful place, in front of the lyric "San Carlo" Theatre).
Neapolitan people is celebrating Piedigrotta, a religious (and more other)
festivity. There is a shop, into the Galleria Umberto I, that shows a wonderful
novelty: the Edison's phonographs! Our two performers (Berardo Cantalamessa e
Nicola Maldacea) listen to a cylinder that proposes a "Laughing song". Berardo
Cantalamessa is enthusiastic! He listen to this piece a lot of times. Then he
"invents" the Neapolitan comic song "'A risa" (in Italian: "La risata" - "The
laugh"). "'A risa" is a big succes (recorded on cylinder and disc, too); it was
performed and recorded by a lot of singers (also in our times). That's all.
(And sorry for my English).
Anita Pesce