Re: [ARSCLIST] The worst cassette tape years

Tom Fine wrote:
If someone sent me a Scotch cassette, particularly a Highlander type, I'd first transplant it into a new housing. Then I'd see how it played. As long as it didn't squeal or obviously wow because it was mechanically un-sound or stuck together, I'd make the transfer and count myself lucky.
As you were typing, Tom, I was making a digital copy of a Highlander brand tape from 1971 that played perfectly. As it turned out to contain some pretty historically valuable material, I'm going to count myself double-lucky today (one: I found it; two: the transfer worked). Maybe I should buy a lotto ticket on the way home tonight . . .

Christie Peterson
Project Archivist, Muskie Archives & Special Collections
Bates College
70 Campus Avenue
Lewiston, ME 04240-6018
(t) 207-753-6918