Re: [ARSCLIST] let's clear the air-preservation

Don Cox <doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    ***The EMI archives are one of the treasures of civilisation, like the Louvre or the Hermitage.

***The question is whether the care of such archives should depend only on a commercial company with limited resources. It seems to me that governments, or perhaps UNESCO, should be supporting the preservation of such archives and the availability of the recordings.

Agreed, yet how do we convince them that they should? How does one create a National/International awareness of the problem? The major granting agencies in the US, NEH, The National Archives and Records Administration, etc. are able to offer only token support in proportion to what is needed.

  I often think that there needs to be an international information preservation initiative. But then, how does one sell the idea?

  Karl