Re: [ARSCLIST] Cedar

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello again,

Steve Abrams commented on gawdawful Caruso reconstructions:

> I think you have jumped to conclusions.  Lennick was probably talking about
> the recent BMG stereo superposition of a modern orchestra on Caruso records,
> a second attempt at the re-recordings done by Victor c. 1930 (and issued
> complete by Pearl, transferred by Marston).

----- I know a bit about the earlier ones made by HMV, which were somewhat
later than the Victor ones  - some of them are not even completely in tune.
But I am kind of shocked to learn that it has been tried again. What a crass
contrast that must be.

> Also, I would like to know the precise source of your information about the
> use of Bjorling's voice in the Stockham process.

----- this was discussed in:

T. Stockham, T. Cannon, and R. Ingebretsen, "Blind Deconvolution Through
Digital Signal Processing", Proc. IEEE, vol. 63, Apr. 1975, pp. 678-692

> I think it is possible to hear the signature of the old Met on some of the
> Mapleson's.  Also, the first series of Maplesons are not far-field
> recordings.  They were made with the horn in the prompter's box.

----- I think that the most that I have regarding the Mapleson cylinders are
two articles by David Hall in Recorded Sound from the then B.I.R.S., and I
seem to remember that you are perfectly correct.