Re: [ARSCLIST] Non-real time minidisc ripping

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello,

Richard Hess suggested solutions to Jim Sam's problems and ended:

> How many do you have and I hope you've stopped making new ones.
> Substitute compact-flash recorders for the MD recorders if the people
> are still generating MDs. I think everyone will be happy you did. I
> think you can pay for the CD recorders out of the labour savings <smile>!

----- I do not doubt the cost factor. However, my wife who has a large
experience recording dialogues (participant observation) and interviews (her
own voice in the background) consistently reports that MiniDisc makes
"better" recordings than her recently acquired compact-flash recorder. The
stereo electret microphone is the absolutely the same.The spaciousness and
clarity of the voices are simply better under the old regime. I can only
explain it as a difference in the encoding, possibly in the use of in-phase
information in stereo imaging. Furthermore, MD, being magneto-optical, is
probably a very stable carrier, so the system only breaks down because of
future lack of hardware. But analog Marantz Cassette Recorder using Ferro I
tapes beats them all!

----- my own experience with MD is mostly at the 4x setting, getting 320
minutes on a disc. I have consistenly used it in getting good quality
monitoring from lectures, and even sound examples are reproduced beautifully -
sounds from loudspeakers are actually better than when heard while in the
lecture room. That is most likely because my microphone is on the floor.

I am personally very surprised, but even this maligned format is actually
very, very useful for many purposes. At least if fools my ears. ATRAC is not
recognized as even a de facto standard format, but they certainly did
something right.

All the best,

George