Re: [ARSCLIST] Mass Digitization / the gear DOES exist, what next??

At 02:44 PM 2007-05-18, Jim Lindner wrote:

In the area of 1/4" playback one of the big issues has been issues
associated with azimuth adjustment done automatically or perhaps
better said to be optimized. Now - frankly, I do not know that
everyone optimizes for each playback anyhow - but in a perfect world
- if one had the time - one would.

Usually each playback, but if it's a series from the same recorder from the same time, and they sound the same running through I leave it alone between actual tapes.

In case anyone has doubts about proper azimuth set to match the original record gap, please see (and listen to the sample at):
http://richardhess.com/notes/2006/09/27/azimuth-hows-and-whys/

One approach that has been taken
in the Prestospace project is to develop a new playback head that is
based on non-contact magneto optical reading - and there are actually
many very tiny heads that are in the MO head. Because of the design
the azimuth is essentially perfect - meaning that there is no azimuth
error and the playback can be faster then real time.

How does this compensate for _record_ azimuth errors which is by far the largest component of what we are correcting.

Cheers,

Richard