Re: [ARSCLIST] Mass Digitization / the gear DOES exist, what next??]

Steven Smolian <smolians@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  ***Does an organization exist that  can
oversee such a task without klutzing it up with too many initial
formal  concerns?

  ***And would that organization be the AES, ARSC, SAA or some other
entity, perhaps one hosted and overseen by the preservation office
of the LOC? The  more I think about it, the more I feel the mission
of the host should be preservation, one that has a visceral
understanding of audio issues.

Is this not the charge of the National Recording Preservation Board at
the Library of Congress? The National Recording Preservation Act of
2000 created this Board to (1) assess and study the state of audio
preservation in the US and to (2) develop best practice standards for a
comprehensive national audio preservation program.

I know they have put out a few reports recently:
http://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/pub137/contents.html. It seems this
Board should be covering much of what has been discussed in this
thread. Does anyone know of their current progress?

Bertram Lyons

Project Manager / Dissemination Coordinator
Association for Cultural Equity
Alan Lomax Archive
450 West 41st Street, Room 606
New York, NY 10036