Re: [ARSCLIST] Mass Digitization / the gear DOES exist, what next??

Steven Smolian <smolians@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:    ***How can this be structured in some logical, evolutionary way without having  it take 5-10 years and too many meetings? Does an organization exist that  can oversee such a task without klutzing it up with too many initial formal  concerns?

  I would be amazed if it could happen in the non-profit world.

***Could it be done informally first, on the net, to feed into such an organization withou the net structure turning wiki?

  From my personal perspective, that is the best that has been done in the non-profit world.

  ***And would that organization be the AES, ARSC, SAA or some other entity, perhaps one hosted and overseen by the preservation office of the LOC? The  more I think about it, the more I feel the mission of the host should be preservation, one that has a visceral understanding of audio issues.

  Now we are getting somewhere...

***And someone has to be the structural boss, one we all acknowledge as such.

Do I hear someone calling for a Lee Iacocca?

  How would the job description read?

  Karl