Re: [ARSCLIST] Discographical files

Interesting...especially given our current discussion of archives and

archiving! I wonder how they arrived at "46 linear feet"...I presume it
took 46 feet of shelf space.

That's corrrect, we measured it by the size of the storage boxes the materials have been rehoused in.

I've never measured the space (most of my
discographic works are not actuallly "shelved" in a library sense of
that term...)?

Also noted that a large part of their holdings are "typed lists of..."
and I wonder if these were typed by their staff...or typed by collectors
whose "estates" they managed to obtain. Note that there exist a large
number of individually-copied discographic lists or other informational
works which are best described as "privately published"...which means
"a few copies were mimeographed or otherwise copied, and made available
to a limited number of interested collectors, often "promoted" only via
"word of mouth!" I have a very few of these, and suspect that many more
exist...

The discographical work was done by members of and donors to the John Edwards Memorial Foundation.The JEMF was incorporated in 1962 as a non-profit organization to promote the study and dissemination of knowledge about American vernacular music of the 1920s-1940s.

For more info on the JEMF:

http://www.lib.unc.edu/mss/inv/j/John_Edwards_Memorial_Foundation

Best,

Steve Weiss