Re: [ARSCLIST] Mass Digitization

----- Original Message -----
From: "Don Cox" <doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> On 17/05/07, Steven C. Barr(x) wrote:

Agreed...but I was addressing age-related deterioration as opposed to
use-related deterioration! There exists a possibility that it could
occur that the laser beam used to play CD's could, over time (say a
million years or so) knock loose enough molecules to affect the sonic
result of subsequent playings. However, it is an established fact that
the physical stylus-to-record contact will remove MANY molecules (has
anyone ever established the deterioration created by a modern player,
with a 1-3 gram tracking pressure, on a shellac-compound disc...?!).

So, let's rephrase my statement..."An UNUSED shellac disc..."