Re: [ARSCLIST] Mass Digitization

----- Original Message -----
From: "Schooley, John" <John.Schooley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> And wouldn't most archeologists and anthropologists KILL to have a
> sample of popular songs or stories from these past civilizations?  We've
> got them in spades, but perhaps part of the problem is they date from a
> time period too recent to yet be of interest to scholars.
> Unfortunately, the formats are much more fragile unlike stone or even
> parchment.  Well cared for, a Gutenberg Bible will probably last another
> century.  Many recorded works won't last until some time in the future
> when academia deems them worthy of study or preservation...

The one significant exception, of course, being shellac records! As long
as they aren't dropped, allowed to stay wet for any significant length of
time, or wind up in a fire, they seem to be essentially inalterable through
age. I have 78's over a century old, which at the very least play as well
as they ever did...!