Re: [ARSCLIST] Suggestions for small and tough and hopefully not too costly DV camera

On 14/05/07, Robert Hodge wrote:

> I have serviced both Sony and Panasonic dv cam and dvc pro units. I'd
> give Panasonic the edge as when I encountered Sony malfunctions under
> warranty, they were less forward about admitting that there WAS a
> factory problem. Panasonic was VERY upfront when we encounterd
> something that fit that bill.
>
> Not that any camcorder is easy to service, but Canon was the worst !

Are these devices still made by the companies whose brand names they
bear?

I thought most consumer items like this were now made by contract
companies who produce variant designs for all the main brands.

> [...]
> chance to push this camera's limits yet, but I hope to do that really
> soon.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-SDR-H200-3-1MP-Optical-Stabilized/dp/B000M4KJV4
>

> This site is the only one I have found to show the rear of the camera
>
> http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/498058675
>
> Miriam
>

> Roger and Allison Kulp wrote:
>
>> I would be interested in this,too.I would eventually be interested in
> doing DIY news,and political activism shorts,and uploading them to
> YouTube,LiveLeak,etc.  .
>>

>>                                    Roger
>>
>> Tom Fine <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Hi All:
>>
>> Sorry for the cross-posts here.
>>
>> I am looking to buy a DV camera to take hiking and other travels.
>>
>> The requirements are:
>>
>> 1. small and light, hopefully smaller and lighter than a digital SLR
> camera.
>> 2. rugged and needs to have reliablly long battery life.
>> 3. simple to use. I am no advanced videographer here. I just need
> something to take good video and
>> not be hassle to use. As close to the equiv. of a point and shoot
> camera or fully-auto SLR camera
>> would be great.
>> 4. cost is a factor. I do not need the latest greatest HD camera.
> Good, crisp NTSC is just fine
>> unless HD stuff is cost-effective and as small and easy to use.
>> 5. either decent built-in sound quality or a jack for an external
> mic.
>> 6. digital output so I can load the video onto my hard drive and burn
> DVD's. Firewire and/or USB is
>> fine.
>> 7. I'm assuming anything I'd want uses tape. The format would best be
> cheap and readily available.
>>
>> In my experience, I tend to have a bias against Sony products, but
> I'd consider one if it were head
>> shoulders better for the same cost. The problems I've had with Sony
> have always revolved around
>> stupid design or, more often, crappy build quality and zero customer
> support. I very much like our
>> little Canon point and shoot -- in fact it's what's gotten me keen on
> video. I love my Nikon D70 SLR
>> but it is big and heavy and there are some situations where I'd
> rather shoot video to tell the whole
>> story.
>>
>> I don't see me making long "creative" "movies," more like short hits
> that are more about "this is
>> what I see right now" visuals where the scenery is too big and too
> spectacular for my photographic
>> skills to tell the story in a still image.
>>
>> Hopefully, I'm describing what I need correctly. I don't know enough
> about digital video to say "I
>> need these specific specs." That's what I'm hoping to gleen from your
> wise advice.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for all help/suggestions.
>>
>> -- Tom Fine

>> Pinpoint customers who are looking for what you sell.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx