From: Robert.Wasserman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Fri, 11 May 2007 12:47 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] ARSC Conference Photos

Great photos from everybody. I'm glad to see at least the Board got the
Rachel Ray tour of Milwaukee restaurants and History Detectives tour of
Wisconsin. I hope at least some people made it to one of the Milwaukee
Brewers winning baseball games that week or to the Ziggy Marley show at
the Riverside Theatre, or got to sample Milwaukee beers that don't say
Miller on then (Sprecher, Lakefront Brewery, etc.) or to one of the many
Belgium beer bars.  I would have suggested some local music, but none of
my favorite roots- rock-surf bands were playing that week.( The Exotics,
Paul Cebar, The Uptown Savages, Bleed, The Nelsonics )

I would have made it to the Palais, but I didn't get funded for lodging
or the conference or for the Saturday event. Hopefully those funds will
goto our new A/D converter!

I would have especially appreciated seeing the mechanical devices,
arcade machines, and the pipe organs. As a working member of IASTE local
251 in Madison, I work or see performances often on these 2 pipe organs
below, the newest being the worlds largest moving musical stage
instrument(we move it on a interior railroad track!) and the other next
door being one of the most pristine and original silent movie house
organs still in use.

http://www.madisonsymphony.org/overturehall/index.php?cid=94
you might have seen this in the NY Times in 2004

http://www.overturecenter.com/grand_barton/organ.htm click on bio. and
stop-list links. They still have bi-monthly silent film nights at the
Capitol Theatre.

And I would be remiss to not mention "House on the Rock", which you
might also want to visit some other time while in southern Wisconsin(too
far from Milwaukee) It's collection very much parallels the one at the
Palais, possibly even an isperation, although much of it is done by
local craftsman and not entirely original, and a lot more dusty and
musty!. (Some of the Worlds largest carousals and pipe organs and
mechanical orchestras, though either modern made in the 1970's-90's or
non-working vintage,

http://www.pbase.com/ysic/the_house_on_the_rock

http://www.galenfrysinger.com/wisconsin_house_on_the_rock.htm

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/~tskirvin/pics/trips/Wisconsin2005/HouseRock/