Re: [ARSCLIST] **SPAM** [78-l] ARSC Conference report: Day 1

On 7 maj 2007, at 04.39, Steven C. Barr(x) wrote:

Oddly enough, in about a gazillion crossings of the US/Canada border...
as a resident of first one and then the other...I only had problems on
two or three occasions!

I suspect more problems are at the air terminals. I've had more attitude there than at US/Canadian border crossings, but my statistical sample is greater for the former as well.

During one visit /from/ Canada to the U.S. (holding an EU passport eligible for Visa Waiver) they decided we couldn't cross their magical border (U.S. side) without paying some special fee that seems only to be in force at Niagra Falls crossing (maybe this is c 10 years ago). Then when we wouldn't pay it we were "refused entry" to the U.S. This was a concern but my friend (who I was with) was visiting with me his brother who just happened to be a senior embassy official and was able to check that this was a bit of B.S. and that nothing untoward was on our passport or file. He also said the U.S. tried it on even with him once when travelling with his passport until he very carefully pointed out that paragraph x.x.x. sub paragraph Y of some regulation was in force and kindly shut up and do his job properly or he would raise the issue. He got tired of being polite and having a border guard act like John Wayne.

I've also had inconsistent advice from border guards when going up via MSP to Winnipeg and further north in Canada (at MSP) and then told the advice given on the return routing at MSP was wrong and I should do Y.

But there are certainly good eggs and bad eggs in every line of business. Maybe ARSC is not the best place to discuss that though !

Mind you, once in Germany flying back from Germany to the UK, I had a German customs guy try to take apart my very early, very heavy, very large "GSM" mobile telephone, giving it back to me in bits to run to the gate as they were threatening dire things to my luggage (we will close the door and leave your luggage on the runway) (sic). I had arrived in good time, had bought some duty free (that dates it for intra EU travel, maybe c 1993?) and I am sure everyone on board thought I was late due to bottle shopping when they heard the clinks as I run what seemed like a marathon, juggling briefcase, phone bits and two bags of bottles.

And my mother says I have a nice, honest face !

Darren

---
Darren Ingram (darren at ingram.fi / www.ingram.fi)
Provider of many things including research, media, innovation and consultancy services.
040 738 5292 / +358 40 738 5292

"Insert pointless, humo(u)rless quotation and ASCII art here"
"Insert lengthy, boring and meaningless corporate and copyright disclaimer here"

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0 What does this mean to you?