Re: [ARSCLIST] **SPAM** [78-l] ARSC Conference report: Day 1

----- Original Message -----
From: <soundthink@xxxxxxx>
> Content preview:  It's 11:30pm here in Milwaukee and I've just ended my
>   day here at the 41st ASRC Conference. I suppose other conference-goers
>   are still out sampling the Milwaukee beer, but since I hate beer, I'm
>   in my room, kicking back and checking out all the goodies we've been
>   getting. [...]
<snip>

Well, had it not been for a major case of "financial insufficiency"
(aka "broke"...) I would have joined the attendees at this event!
Lodgings would have been cheap (my brother lives in West Allis, which
is effectively part of Milwaukee...), leaving only the problem of
the new anti-terrorist policies of the US, and a change in the
document identifying me as a "Landed Immigrant" (means that I have
officially "landed" in Canada...a leftover from the days when one
actually "landed" on Pier <wotever> when your ship moored...!
I would have needed a new US passport (IIRC, US$80 and about a
six-week delay...) as well as a new Canadian "Resident" card
(Cdn$60 or so)...just to get to the other end of whichever
tunnel which I used to get across the Detroit River! Worse yet,
the Toronto-Chicago train seems on longer to run...meaning I
would have to have travelled by Greyhound bus (not too bad up
here, but a dubious adventure stateside...!).

So, I shall have to wait until the next time that the ARSC event
is held reasonably close to Toronto (Hey, we have a new arena
here in Oshawa, as well as Durham College and the University Of
Ontario Institute Of Technology...ain't that a dumb name for an
educational institution, eh...?! hint hint hint), assuming I
haven't headed off to that great discography convention in the
sky...!

BTW, anybody who is a tourist in Milwaukee, and doesn't like beer,
has wound up in the wrong place...something like a vegetarian
on a tour of a sausage manufactory...! Even if I didn't have a
brother there, I'd visit the place for the libations...