Re: [ARSCLIST] SACD fans -- some discounts

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Abrams" <steve.abrams@xxxxxxxxx>
> I don't think there was such a tax in the US of A.  In Britain the lobbying
> of the industry was rejected. However, there was a tax on blank tape in
> Germany.  Presumably this still exists.
>
> When CDR came out, the standalone format was more expensive because
> royalties were supposed to be paid.  Then the companies, e.g. Philips et al,
> admitted that they were not paying the royalties but simply pocketing the
> cash. Of course Philips had prewviously been complaining about people making
> illegal tape recordings and videos on philips recorders with philips tape,
> knowing that these machines had hardly any use except copyright violation.

Here in Canada, money was collected on ANYTHING that could be used to
copy copyrighted sound recordings. The money thus collected was supposed
to be paid to the musicians. I don't think this has been done so far...
but it did make it more-or-less legal to use the tax-paid items to
copy sound recordings...