Re: [ARSCLIST] DVD video to iPod

John Spencer wrote:
Just curious, is this legal? I thought I read something in some of the earlier posts that the download for the app was out of the US, I'm just one of those who doesn't totally understand copyright in the current generation (YouTube, et. al.).

I have come to believe that no one understands U.S. copyright. If you think you do, you should either take the bar exam or lower your own bar. <G>

The following is based on my understanding.

The law permits one to make an archival copy of an unprotected product which you own. It does not permit you to break any protective scheme such as those on commercial DVDs. Neither does it permit you to convert the material to another format - whether or not it is offered in that format by the publisher. So you can make an archival copy of a commercial CD-DA, but it is outside the law to break the duplication barrier of some audio CDs (which cannot bear the CompactDisc logo because the protection violates the redbook standard) or of any other protected source.

If you have your own material from a camcorder or such, you presumably have the rights to what you shot (watch out for copyrighted music, other people in the picture, and the like). Then you can convert and duplicate as you choose. The situation with telecasts is unclear; only the Betamax decision seems applicable. While that suggests that you may time-shift (at least, the hardware manufacturer is not liable if you do), it may not extend to duplication.

FYI: Before getting into the suit with Capitol, Naxos enlisted the services one of the top intellectual-property fims in the U.S. After researching the matter, they concluded that all was well. The suit rewrote that, of course.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/