Re: [ARSCLIST] Gowers considered recommending shorter copyright term

----- Original Message -----
From: "D P Ingram" <darren@xxxxxxxxx>
> > I think both Italy and Spain are now at 50 years. There would be an
> > obvious commercial advantage to having a shorter period. The Spanish
> > label Definitive has been issuing 1950s jazz recordings.
> >
> Are they paying royalties as the latest legal advice I got (from UK)
> was that whilst the artist might not get the benefit, the songwriter
> and someone who composed the music still has rights for 70 (75?)
> years after their death and they must give clearance.

Well, payments to composers and/or publishers often have longer "life
spans" than fifty years; however, in many countries, these parties also
fall under "mandatory license" provisions...meaning they (or their
heirs) collect royalties, but can't prevent (re)issuance (unless they
can prove the song[s] will somehow lose value through the proposed
reissue or reuse...!

Thus, here in Canada, I can reissue almost all of my 78's...but I have
to pay a flat fee to CMRRA which covers the first 50 or 100 (forget the
number) copies of my reissue disc...